Preparation time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Sweet steamed buns with cinnamon and cocoa.
Have you ever thought about cooking delicious leavened bread buns using steam? No? Well, know that it is possible and also tasty!
The original name of the steamed bread buns is Baozi or Mantou depending if they stuffed or unstuffed and its origin is Chinese. Compared to the original recipe we prepared them sweeter and stuffed with a cinnamon and sweetened cocoa filling to make them really tasty.
The consistency is different than the classical oven baked buns, they appear almost like a cloud and so as not to lose this softness they ought to be eaten immediately: prepare them right before tasting them.
We recommend the steam cooker Risolì VaporPLUS, made of die-cast aluminium and its glass basket allows to easily monitor the baking.
Ingredients for 6 people
- 250 g 00 flour
- 70 g grain sugar
- 140 ml lukewarm milk
- 8 g fresh beer yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sugared cocoa powder q.s.
- Cinnamon powder q.s.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm milk. In large bowl pour flour, sugar, oil and add the dissolved yeast. Start to mix together adding the milk slowly by slowly. Knead until the dough is soft and combined, cover with cling film and let sit for about 1 hour in warm place.
- After rising use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it forms a rectangle; then garnish it with cinnamon and sweetened cocoa powder.
- Roll the dough into a long log and with a sharp knife cut the log to smaller pieces around 5 cm each.
- Place the log on baking paper and stand for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Add water to the steamer until half full and once it boils insert the glass basket and place 3 buns. Close the lid and let it cook on medium fire for 25 minutes without removing the lid. Continue through with all buns.
- Once all buns are cooked remove them from the basket and the baking paper and let them dry on a small grid.
These buns are excellent if served with a cup of tea.